[pacman-dev] vercmp / force update

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 12:45:11 EST 2007

On 3/5/07, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/5/07, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> > we use "vercmp" to create our diffscript
> > http://archlinux.org/~andyrtr/pkg_diff.html
> >
> > vercmp still reports 0.8.10a < 0.8.10
> >
> > that's why we have to use force='y' in our PKGBUILDS that also appears
> > in pkgdesc
> >
> > shouldn't we fix this before the release?
>
> Not going to happen, bugfix only period has started, and Aaron and I
> would consider this feature addition.

If this was an easy fix it would have been fixed in pacman long ago.
This is *why* force=y exists.  There is absolutely no definitive way
to determine alphanumeric versioning.

Does 1.0a come after 1.0? Or is it 1.0 "alpha"?

There's a million questions here.

Frankly, I know there is no way to fix this 100% of the time.  If you
feel it's a fixable problem, I suggest you submit a patch with a
solution.