[pacman-dev] The real deal - pacman 3.0.0 RC1

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 11:03:29 EST 2007

On 3/4/07, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> We are really close to releasing pacman 3 to testing, but Aaron and I
> wanted to get you guys to do some serious testing for a few days
> before we do that. Both of us are now running pacman 3 exclusively, so
> have no fears. :)
>
> PLEASE read this first. This is no longer a side-by-side install, this
> will REPLACE pacman on your system. It is perfectly safe, but realize
> that you are upgrading, not simply installing another version. In
> addition, if you have pacman-rc installed currently, it is easiest to
> run a 'pacman -R pacman-rc' first to prevent weird things from
> happening. Here is the package:
> <http://www.archlinux.org/~dan/pacman/pacman-3.0.0-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz>
>
> And for those of you that want to build it on your own, I put the
> PKGBUILD and install file up as well. I recommend a bootstrap build-
> use your existing makepkg to build, upgrade, and then makepkg and
> upgrade again. However, you should have no problems along the way, so
> let us know of any. Here is that link:
> <http://www.archlinux.org/~dan/pacman/>
>
> Please report anything to us here on the list that you may find. We
> may not respond instantly but we will take a look at any possible bugs
> you guys point out.

Ok, so we've been cranking away fixing the bugs that are reported.
What I'm looking for now is a "works ok for me" or even "works except
<bug I reported already>" type stuff.

I'm really looking for an "OK" from the testers out there to push this
stuff more to the public test (i.e. a real NEWS announcement).

I also CC'd this mail to the arch-dev ML, as I have no idea if
everyone is on the pacman-dev list.  Please read the instructions from
Dan.