[pacman-dev] The real deal - pacman 3.0.0 RC1

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 15:53:08 EST 2007

On 3/5/07, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 5. März 2007 00:34:15 schrieb Dan McGee:
> > This is the chost determined by configure, so I would guess it is
> > right. However, I do not know much about how that works, so you may
> > want to read up on it more if you think it is wrong.
>
> Well, other distros are using x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (e.g.:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Athlon_64_.28AMD.29) So I think the
> current chost is wrong.

OK, here is what I've found and learned about this whole thing.

CLFS (Cross Linux From Scratch) recommends using the following build
triplet for its builds, and I would assume they have thought this out
fairly well:
export CLFS_TARGET="x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"

AndyRTR also says that 'unknown' works much better than 'pc', which
they were using in the early days of Arch64. Unless you are manually
overriding this value in every other package you build, the chost with
'unknown' will be the same one used to build other packages.