[pacman-dev] pacman should ask the user on multipile choices

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 14:45:48 EST 2007

2007/3/7, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> On 3/7/07, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am not sure if this is a bug or missing feature; so I sent this to the ml
> > first.
> >
> > Sometime a package depends on a "meta" package which is provided by more than
> > one packages. For example "libgl" or "smtp-server". At the moment pacman just
> > installs the first package it founds which is the wrong decision for most
> > cases.
>
> Right, this is the current way pacman2 does it.  It's harder to do and
> I think it's either in a TODO in the code, or on my TODO.aaron list.
> Not sure, but it's planned.

Yep, I surely remember the discussion about this somewhere but neither
Flyspray nor Gmail are able to find it... doh...

I guess with --noconfirm we'll get old behavour anyway. We might add
some option for pacman.conf though, like "Alias web-server=lighttpd"
but it will be useful only for first install, so I dunno if it worth
it..

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)