[pacman-dev] updated french translation
dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 11:20:03 EDT 2007
On 3/8/07, solsTiCe d'Hiver <solstice.dhiver at laposte.net> wrote:
> i have used the fr.po i have found in the source of
> to make an updated version of the src/pacman/po/fr.po file
> you will find it attached (if it passes some filtering) with a patch.
> but although i have translated all the strings, some output is still not
> translated when i run pacman.
> so the fr.po i work on is not up to date ?
> i see nowhere into what translate 'is newer than' for example ?
> and i have translated ':: Starting full system upgrade...' but it is not
> translated in pacman's output ? what's wrong ? my fr.po ?
Thanks for the updated translation, it is now checked in to CVS. Sorry
about it taking a while- it was stuck in the mail queue because the
message was too big; next time I would recommend using bzip2 or gzip
on the attachments. A few pointers which hopefully answer your
1. You may want to work straight from the CVS source, this makes it
much easier to ensure you are translating the current po file with the
current strings. For more instructions on how to get a checkout, see
the (outdated) website at <http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/>, and look
at the 'Pacman 3' section.
2. Once you get CVS checked out as explained on the website, you can
keep it up to date by just running 'cvs update'. In CVS you'll find a
file called 'translation-help', which is a good read to get started
with all the translation stuff. Please let me know if anything in
there is unclear, I threw it together pretty quickly.
3. That file should mention some translation programs that make
editing the po files a lot easier and slicker. Off the top of my head,
I know gtranslator (community), and poedit (AUR) are available.
4. The reason some of your strings are not showing up is because you
did not remove the 'fuzzy' designation from those you fixed. I am
guessing you did this by hand; most of the GUI tools will
automatically do this for you after you edit a string. fuzzy indicates
that a string may not be quite right, and I believe our current
settings do not include fuzzy translations in the final output files.
Feel free to contact us with any more questions, as either I or the
other translators should be able to help you out.
More information about the pacman-dev