[pacman-dev] Roadmap for 3.1

Andrew Fyfe andrew at neptune-one.net
Thu Mar 29 04:49:44 EDT 2007

Dan McGee wrote:
> Comments and some of my own stuff here.
>
> On 3/28/07, Andrew Fyfe <andrew at neptune-one.net> wrote:
>> Cleanup scripts/*
>>         - move msg* error warning in_array check_* out of makepkg so all
>>           scripts can make use of them.
>>         - use tput for coloured output
>>         - move BUILDSCRIPT PKGEXT DB_COMPRESSION into makepkg.conf
>>         - gettext support (Giovanni Scafora has done some work on this)
>
> Yes, I like most of this, and it would be good to see in 3.1.
> Especially if patches start rolling in.

Now that I've got the hang of git, I start knocking up some patches for
these.

> * Standardized exit codes for pacman and makepkg. These should be set,
> documented, and utilized in scripts that look at output codes.
I've made a start on makepkg. I'm aiming to replace all the exit's with
$E_* so it's easier to work out why makepkg is exiting. So far I've got
   0 = E_OK - No error.
   1 = E_UNKNOWN - This is should be avoided where ever possible.
   2 = E_BUILD_FAILED - build() failed for some reason.
   4 = E_USER_ABORT - do I need to explain :p
   8 = E_MISSING_PROGRAM - if wget|fakeroot|... are missing.
  16 = E_CONFIG_ERROR - something wrong (or missing) with makepkg.conf.
  32 = E_BUILDSCRIPT_ERROR - something wrong (or missing) with PKGBUILD.

Andrew