[pacman-dev] handling of provides/conflicts

Scott Horowitz stonecrest at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 18:12:24 EDT 2007

Scenario: mplayer-svn is in unstable, mplayer is in current.
mplayer-svn has provides/conflicts for mplayer, mplayer does not for
mplayer-svn (it seems typical that packages in current don't deal with
packages outside of current/extra).

If I have mplayer-svn installed and try to install mplayer, I get the following:
$ pacman -S mplayer
resolving dependencies... done.
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: mplayer conflicts with mplayer-svn. Remove mplayer-svn? [Y/n]
done.
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: mplayer-svn requires acidrip
:: mplayer-svn requires mplayer-plugin

(First, two minor problems. The "done" is very confusing - I assume
it's from the inter-conflicts statement, but it reads as removing
mplayer-svn is done. Also, the "mplayer-svn requires acidrip" should
read "acidrip requires mplayer-svn" (sorry yankees26).)

But the point is that this behavior seems "broken" to me. Surely if
mplayer-svn provides mplayer, you should be able to swap mplayer-svn
for mplayer.

Scott