[pacman-dev] pacman PKGBUILD needs depends=(python)

Scott Horowitz stonecrest at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 20:59:28 EDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On a side note, what do you guys think about "optdepends"?
> <http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6626>
>
> If we pick a name now, we can worry about implementation details
> later. But it would be interesting to have this kind of thing. I did
> find, way back in Flyspray, a request for this same kind of thing that
> was closed by Judd because he thought it was unnecessary. I feel like
> things may have changed enough since then, but I don't know for sure.

I personally dislike optdepends because it doesn't make sense to me.
If something is optional, it's not a dependency; if it's a dependency,
it's not optional. I'd go with either "optional" or, as mentioned in
FS, "suggests".

But everyone is going to have an opinion ;-) I think every user would
appreciate this feature implemented, the name is less important.

Scott