[pacman-dev] ALPM Questions

Georg Grabler ggrabler at gmail.com
Fri May 4 06:41:51 EDT 2007

Sounds intersting, thank you.
Could you describe in short what the sync anyway does? So which
functionalities does it include?
We'd like sync just to have a (in example) current.db.tar.gz provided
(by path or how ever) and let alpm sync it with the current package
db.

We have plans not to implement any download feature of alpm, so
downloading files (in our opinion) definitely is no task of the
library / binding, but of the client, and i'm currently not sure if
that's possible at all.

So rather, we will want to use alpm for the following features:
- Package DB handling (basically update pacman db dirs with the lib,
by already existing pdbs in the fs)
- Adding packages (so pulling depends, installing and adding it to the
cache, handling the packages how ever the installed / not installed
works. Also there, packages exist in the fs, which should be possible
by setting another package cache dir for alpm)
- Removing packages (as i wrote reverse-depend calc and handling of
the uninstall process).

Thank you,
Georg