[pacman-dev] slower ftp access with pacman 3 ?

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue May 8 14:00:26 EDT 2007

2007/5/8, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:

> That one is problematic and is due to the symlinking on the servers.
> There's no way to know what it should do because 'PWD' returns the
> wrong directory.

yes, I was just wondering if it was possible to detect symlinks, but I
don't think ftp allows this.

> Ideally we need to fix the ftp setup on the main servers and the
> mirrors though (0.8 should be a symlink to current, not the other way
> around).  But you could try using the 0.8 path in your mirror config
> and see if that helps.

I don't know, I find it more logical to have current pointing to the
current version.
Having it the other way around would indeed solve the problem, but I
find it a bit odd.
Using 0.8 in the config directly indeed works, since it's a real directory.

Anyway, this problem only occurs when downloading several packages from current.
For syncing, it has to change path for each repo (current, then extra,
then ...), so there is another problem. Did the ftp code change a lot
between pacman 2 and pacman 3?

Also, why is ftp used by default for all mirrors, even though many are
available through both protocols. What's wrong with http? It has much
faster access, but maybe also some obvious downsides I don't know
about?