[pacman-dev] CVS update of pacman-lib/scripts (makepkg)

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Tue May 15 11:00:51 EDT 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 08:02:29PM -0400, Dan McGee wrote:
> On 5/14/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 11:41:17AM -0400, Dan McGee wrote:
> > >
> > > Is it just me, or does GIT provide no easy way to sign off on a pulled
> > > branch? I'm looking at each patch as I go, and I wanted to sign off
> > > but it seems this is not a normal thing to do. Anyone that has figured
> > > this out, let me know.
> > >
> > > -Dan
> >
> > My understanding is that a git pull can't modify patches.  Signing off on a
> > patch modifies it.  git-am can signoff for sure.
> >
> > Jason
>
> Yeah, I wasn't looking so much for it on the git-pull, but things like
> git-rebase actually modify the patches. Why isn't there some sort of
> git-rebase --sign <branch> ?
>
> -Dan

I think it's because the sign off was created to track patches as they pass
through mailboxes.  Once something is in a git repo, a git pull already has
the name of the person who commited it.

Applying that logic, git rebase just applies patches onto a different head,
so it doesn't make sense to sign-off them.  The author stays the same.

Jason