[pacman-dev] The time has come- pacman 3.1 testing releases

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 16:35:02 EST 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 10:58:03PM -0600, Dan McGee wrote:
> 1. Because this package will replace your stock pacman, you either
> need to put the package in your own local repo, or add my [pacman]
> repo to your pacman.conf.

Hm, that TODO again :)

> 4. One issue is kind of weird, and may be a bug in the way we do
> replaces handling. Your original pacman.conf will be moved to
> pacman.conf.pacsave, and the new one installed as pacman.conf. Of
> course, you will need to do some merging of the config files, but
> unfortunately they end up backwards from the norm.

Well, it's not an upgrade here. Even though in this particular case, it's the
same package, in the general replace case, I don't think the new package has
to have the same files than the old one. I think it just has to provide the
same functionality.
So pacman just removes the "to be replaced package", generating all these
.pacsave files, and then it installs the new one. Everything behaves as
expected.
But maybe pacman could handle replacement just like an upgrade, and try
handling the backup files the same way,.. I'm not sure.
I'm just saying that there are no bugs here in my opinion :)