[pacman-dev] TotalDownload option.

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 11:08:34 EST 2007

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 09:27:33AM -0600, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2007 9:06 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 04:08:22PM +0200, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> > >
> > > Hm, I don't like % between ##, I think this would be ok:
> > > gcc-libs-4.2.2-2-i686   1081.1K  665.7K/s 00:00:02 [#################]
> > > 100% |   8%
> > >

> > Is the newline made on purpose? I think it looks nicer on the same line. And
> > as Nathan said, I don't know either if it's possible to do it on multiple
> > lines.
> > Otherwise, that's also what I was thinking from the beginning. Just
> > displaying the two percentages.
> > IMO, this should make everyone happy, and make the need of the TotalDownload
> > option less important.
>
> Ha! This is a great example why I think we shouldn't do two
> percentages. We already are cramming too much info on one line, and
> adding another 7 chars to that line will be hard to do (almost every
> package name will get cut off).

Ok good point, but since we are short on space, are all the informations
currently displayed more interesting than the total percent?
For example, the -i686 suffix in package name isn't very useful.
And there are 3 different options only for showing the progress of the
current package : remaining time, progress bar, and percentage.
These take a lot of space :

Actually, I'm commenting this, but I don't really care, so feel free to
ignore the above. I'm happy with the current pacman output.
The only thing I'm less happy with are the bugs I mentioned previously, but
it doesn't have anything to do with the download output:
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-September/009317.html
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-October/009552.html