[pacman-dev] do we need requiredby?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 15:08:07 EST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 10:21 AM, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> So I will create a patch for killing requiredby soon. The patched pacman will be
> compatible with the old dbs; however, old pacmans with new dbs will fail.
> What do you say? Any contras? [my patch would simulate alpm_pkg_get_requiredby
> with compute_requiredby]

Just to make sure I understand you - you want to fully remove
REQUIREDBY from the DB and compute it every time.

It will be a little slower, BUT, it will help us in a few ways:

1) we don't need REQUIREDBY all that often. It's only used in removal,
and replace functionality if I understand correctly. The performance
hit will not be that big in this case (removal happens far less often
than addition).
2) Our package structures will shrink in size, which is always good

I say go for it. Sounds like a pretty decent idea if I'm understanding
you correctly. As usual, I await your patches 8)