[pacman-dev] Misleading pacman man page

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 18:49:31 EST 2007

This is a man page issue that's actually got me a few times, and seems
to confuse users as well. This is the pacman man page.

On Nov 12, 2007 5:34 PM, Goulven Guillard <lecotegougdelaforce at free.fr> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin a écrit :
> >> Oh, ok. Sorry, the comment was so tiny that I didn't see it. :-)
> >>
> >> And thanks for the tip, it seems like I misread pacman's manpage.
> >
> > It's in the OPTIONS section above all the other ones - it's a little
> > misleading, but that section contains the common options for all
> > commands.
>
> Yes, I agree it's misleading. But anyway I have no excuse, I have read
> all the manpage... I must be tired.

Basically, he didn't know about -Rd because it is not documented in
the "REMOVE OPTIONS" section, but above it, and that is not really
referenced anywhere. I know I've done a double take once or twice.

* Point out the OPTIONS section better - perhaps adding a little "See
Also" at the top of each specific options section?
* Remove the OPTIONS section and duplicate it in each sub section
* Do nothing

What do you all think?