[pacman-dev] do we need requiredby?

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Tue Nov 13 07:27:14 EST 2007

> I'm regretting Nagy didn't point this out earlier then.
> I don't know why I never thought about this. Now that it's said, and I'm
> looking back at all the issues related to requiredby, it makes a lot of
> sense.
> It would also eliminate the eventual problems caused by an existing broken
> database, with wrong requiredby.
Well, I'm quoting Aaron here
(http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-October/009498.html):
"The more and more ideas that are pumped out to this list, the more
confused we get, and the harder it is to keep up. It's like.... if I
throw a baseball at you, you might catch it, but if I throw 50, you
won't catch them all."
And he has right now. I've got plenty of plans in my mind, indeed; I didn't
point this out earlier, because:
1. Main reason: I always prefer bugfixes over "improvements" (see also: 2.). And
well, in my priority list this is not so important at all:
-give a look at libalpm/sync.c (simply horrible)
-we have some critical bugs now (symlink puzzle), and some other notable failing
pactests too, buggy reason handling etc.
-my main "mission" here is to reach the universal transaction ;-)
2. Now the requiredby stuff is expected to work fine (I can bet that Travis's
problem is not a bug now).
3. Throwing requiredby to trash-bin is also throwing our hard work to release
2., too
4. To be honest, I simply thought that you won't like it
5. I have some pending submitted patches here (I don't want to throw 50
baseballs... ;-)

> But I'm not the project manager, and pacman 3.1 indeed has to be released
> one
> day :)

Well, sometimes I have the feeling that we should release pacman more often. I
said earlier that pacman-git is more stable than devel repo. And indeed, I
simply use pacman-git at home, fortunately without bigger problems. Sometimes I
get disappointed about the fact, that Arch users have to wait so much for the
next release:
Pacman 3.0.6 fails 29 (vs. 8) pactest files from 3.1 (remove046.py lead to an
infinite loop...)

Bye, ngaba