[pacman-dev] [PATCH 0/2] Remove REQUIREDBY usage
ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Tue Nov 13 07:45:43 EST 2007
Idézés Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com>:
> This is mainly an RFC on the whole idea. Nagy, you made me think
> enough about it that I just went ahead and whipped something up.
> I'd first like to say that I did this in the quickest way possible, so
> there is no guarantee I did everything right. I also did nothing to
> optimize for efficiency. In some cases, we could be calling the
> alpm_pkg_compute_requiredby() function way more than we should,
> because I basically replaced any call to alpm_pkg_get_requiredby()
> with a corresponding alpm_pkg_compute_requiredby() and free().
> Note that we should definitely find a way to pactest or otherwise test
> the computed requiredby entries.
> Some quick observations:
> $ time pacman -Qt > /dev/null (pacman 3, latest GIT release)
> real 0m0.084s
> user 0m0.020s
> sys 0m0.043s
> $ time ./src/pacman/pacman -Qt > /dev/null (with compute_requiredby switch)
> real 0m1.893s
> user 0m1.800s
> sys 0m0.037s
> Obviously a slowdown, but is it all that bad in the big scheme of
> things when corrupted requiredby entries no longer hurt us?
> $ pacman -Qt > orphans-old
> $ ./src/pacman/pacman -Qt > orphans-new
> $ diff orphans-old orphans-new
> > agg 2.5-2
> > libnet 22.214.171.124-1
> > mysql 5.0.45-1
> > python-eyed3 0.6.14-1
> > ttf-bitstream-vera 1.10-5
> > xmlsec 1.2.10-3
> At first, I was worried. Then I see that the new code is much better!
> openoffice-base has at least two stale entries in the requiredby
> fields of agg and xmlsec, while libnet is stale from being an old
> depend of ettercap. So yeah, this new code helps us in a lot of places
> (everywhere but speed).
Huh, you were really fast. I just read and answer today's tons of mail in
chronology, and this mail was a big surprise ;-)
SZTE Egyetemi Könyvtár - http://www.bibl.u-szeged.hu
This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/
More information about the pacman-dev