[pacman-dev] "local version is up to date. Upgrade anyway?" question

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Wed Nov 21 10:02:46 EST 2007

> For testing the last patch from Nagy that makes the "dependency cycle"
> warning more verbose, I wanted to do :
> pacman -S base
> But then cancel the operation.
> The problem is that, for every package, I got the following question :
> local version is up to date. Upgrade anyway?
>
> I couldn't use --noconfirm , because I didn't want to actually do the
> operation, only preview it.
> Also, --noconfirm will answer other questions than this one.
>
> Actually, this is exactly the issue that was mentioned in this thread :
> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=35901
> The only way was to use the --ask option, which was too complicated and has
> been removed. We probably don't need the power of this function anyway.
> But maybe we could have a replacement, just for this "local version is up to
> date" question.
> Or, is this question really useful anyway? How often do we try installing an
> already installed package, without the intention to reinstall it?

See also my comments here: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8242

Well, I never used the --ask option before, so I don't know what that did. So I
may want to (re)implement it.

> Or maybe pacman could just print a warning instead :
> # pacman -S foo
> warning : foo is already installed

This seems OK to me (if in this case foo will be upgraded): atm I cannot find
any case when an already-installed package is pulled to target list "automatically".

Bye, ngaba