[pacman-dev] "local version is up to date. Upgrade anyway?" question

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:46:59 EST 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 11:19:25AM -0500, Dan McGee wrote:
> This seems like the mirror of your --unneeded option, in a way. Not
> sure if --needed is really the best way to describe it, but it is a
> possibility.

Yes, kind of.

> This would also allow us to remove the -F option if we ported it to
> -U/-A as well.

Except that -F apparently doesn't want to install new packages, only upgrade
existing but outdated ones.
While the option I had in mind for -S would either install new packages, or
upgrading existing but outdated ones.

But I never used -F once in all the time I used Arch. Who uses this option?
I actually was surprised when I first saw it some times ago. And I already
forgot it existed, since I never see it mentioned anywhere.