[pacman-dev] Bug with rxvt-unicode version check

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 12:48:10 EST 2007

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 12:37:21PM -0500, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Nov 22, 2007 5:32 AM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This problem already happened. It's not a bug in pacman.
> > > It's either an user (well, developer) mistake, or a bug in the repo scripts.
> > >
> > > cat /var/lib/pacman/sync/extra/rxvt-unicode-8.5a-1/desc
> > >  %FILENAME%
> > >  rxvt-unicode-8.4-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
> > >

> > Hm. this is not a pacman bug, but maybe pacman could have more sanity checks.
> > Maybe it could check that the FILENAME contains VERSION.
>
> No, the whole point of the filename field is to decouple the filename
> from being only based on the package name and version. We just happen
> to name our files the way we do.

Decoupling it in which goal? Having filename independent from package name
and version, or introducing redundancy for more fiability?

I'm not suggesting to recompute the filename based on package name and
version. Only to check everything is coherent. And if it isn't, just fail.
Because, currently, what pacman does is very misleading.