[pacman-dev] "local version is up to date. Upgrade anyway?" question

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 11:46:21 EST 2007

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 12:13:01PM +0100, Nagy Gabor wrote:

> And this would ~close http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8242, imho.

Actually, I agree with Aaron here :
"This has nothing to do with questions.... solving this issue with noconfirm
is messy. What we *should* do is literally keep track of whether something
installed is a group or a package."

I think the example in the bug report is quite clear :
"pacman -S gnome-extra
*few weeks later*
gnome-extra adds 2-3 new packages
pacman -Syu doesn't catch this and install the 2-3 new packages."

You install a group one day. And after that, you just run pacman -Syu.
Having to reinstall every groups to ensure that no new packages appeared in
the meantime isn't very nice. Or at least, that's not what the feature
request is about.
But that also means every "pacman -S group" would have to be recorded.

Now, where I might agree with you is about the usefulness of this feature
request. I personally wouldn't care about this problem on my system. Even if
I did, it would probably be for a specific group.
So in that case, "pacman -S needed group" would help indeed.

But then I wouldn't consider FS#8242 as fixed, rather as invalid :)