[pacman-dev] Fast binary database

JJDaNiMoTh jjdanimoth at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 06:32:23 EST 2007

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 21:44:54 +0100
Sivert Berg <siveberg at online.no> wrote:

> Hello,

[cut]

> I see you have discussed the database question several times. I hope this code
> could give you some answers (is a binary database really faster etc).
It's clear that binary data are faster than txt data. There are some guy
that don't want to hear this: their way is the best {clean, useful etc}
and others sucks.

> This is pretty much just a proof-of-concept, so don't expect it to do much,
> but I think it might be a start.

[danimoth at jane src]$time ./sarcina -o `which vim`
/usr/bin/vim is owned by vim

real    0m0.127s
user    0m0.040s
sys     0m0.037s

[danimoth at jane src]$time pacman -Qo `which vim`
/usr/bin/vim è contenuto in vim 7.1.156-1

real    1m58.891s
user    0m42.174s
sys     0m7.100s

Ok, the pacman in [core] is bugged; whit the git version, I have 40 sec
(without cache).

40 sec VS 0.1 sec ... It's a GOOD starting point.

I'm trying to setting up ( despite git .. that's really unusable..)
a copy of the git repo, with sqlite-backend coded.I want try to
insert your modify into this.

--
JJDaNiMoTh - ArchLinux Trusted User