[pacman-dev] -Sp is broken?

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Thu Oct 4 07:18:11 EDT 2007

http://projects.archlinux.org/git/?p=pacman.git;a=commit;h=b86479cf9b584c62dbda967902cee2a81678c9ef

> However, after reverting this commit, this command still needs to be run as
> root for working. That wasn't the case with pacman 3.0 ..

Well, I'm pretty sure that we should restructure pacman's option "handling".
Sometimes "rethinking" a big codepart is easier than fixing ~100 flyspray bugs
(as an example, I must mention the current libalpm/sync.c ...)
See also (this method is the most pausible for me; the effects of this would
restructure the source, too):
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-September/009484.html

I don't really understand where the difficulty is. We can loop in the operation
options, and do the requested operations.
Permission handling: Do we really need this?
libalpm will return with an error, if the user hasn't got enough privileges; and
pacman can quit (any may ignore -y). libalpm could also inform the caller
funtion about "Operation not permitted" with an error-type.

Bye, ngaba