[pacman-dev] base system install and scriptlets

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 14:18:09 EDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 11:56:11AM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> Last night Dan and I went through this.
>
> Firstly, we manually ensured the deps for install scriptlets.

What does this mean exactly?

> Secondly, I made libalpm succeed but complain loudly if /bin/sh is
> missing for a package that has a scriptlet.
>
> There's not much we can do beyond that besides ensuring this stuff
> manually - perhaps a namcap rule to make sure bash is somehow in the
> dep chain if an install script is present?

Well, I am not sure if this is related to the first part.
But while bash is indeed the most important requirement, it's not the only
one.

Many scriptlets use other tools, like cat, grep, awk, ln, ldconfig,..
But it seems installing these 5 packages meet all the base scriptlets need :
bash coreutils grep gawk sysvinit filesystem initscripts (and all their dependencies).

However, filesystem and initscripts have a scriptlet itself, so I rather did the following :
1) pacman -S bash coreutils grep gawk sysvinit
2) pacman -S filesystem initscripts
3) pacman -S base

By following these steps, it goes nearly smoothly.