[pacman-dev] [patch] testdb

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 13:08:50 EDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 04:37:50PM +0200, Nagy Gabor wrote:
> this is also done; but TODO: I did a dirty hack to make check_conflict visible
> from testdb.c (I'm not familiar in these static/symexport... stuffs,
> check_conflict probably should be renamed, too)

I don't know really how the interfaces for the conflict checks should be.
Currently we have these 2 functions :
* void check_conflict(alpm_list_t *list1, alpm_list_t *list2,
    alpm_list_t **baddeps, int order)

* alpm_list_t *_alpm_checkconflicts(pmdb_t *db, alpm_list_t *packages)
  built on top of check_conflict.

And _alpm_checkconflicts is used in sync.c and add.c .
Though, after your resolve conflict patch (not merged), _alpm_checkconflicts
is no longer used in sync.c . Instead, check_conflict is used directly.
And now, for testdb too, check_conflict has to be used directly.

So it appears that the _alpm_checkconflicts function isn't really useful.
However, the interface of check_conflict is too confusing for a public
function imo.
I don't know what should be done really, this requires some thinking.

And anyway, you said these conflict checks sucked because of the assymetrical
storing (I don't know how that should be handled either..).

About static/symexport stuff, first a part of the README file :

 27 In a general manner, public library functions are named "alpm_<type>_<action>"
 28 (examples: alpm_trans_commit(), alpm_release(), alpm_pkg_getinfo(), ...).
 29 Internal (and thus private) functions should be named "_alpm_XXX" for instance
 30 (examples: _alpm_needbackup(), _alpm_runscriplet(), ...). Functions defined and
 31 used inside a single file should be defined as "static".

So, if I undestood correctly, you could have :
1) void SYMEXPORT alpm_conflict_check defined in conflict.c and declared in alpm.h (public)
2) void _alpm_conflict_check defined in conflict.c and declared in conflict.h (internal)
3) static void conflict_check defined in conflict.c (only used in conflict.c)

And the three could exist in the same time (1 and 2 in the same time is very common in libalpm).