[pacman-dev] Submitting Patches

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 11:43:13 EDT 2007

I want to bring this up a little bit.

There's lots of ideas thrown around on this list, but more often than
not, no code, or cryptic patches.

This does nothing. All it does is waste both mine and Dan's time.

On 10/24/07, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> But if your patch is rejected, then you should probably also provide one
> separate patch with only the small bug fixes.

This should ALWAYS be the case. Submitting a patch with 5 different
changes is NOT acceptable. "One feature per patch" is the way this
works.
This is not just pacman either. Most other open source projects do it this way.

Think of it this way: if you submit a patch with 5 changes, and one
change is rejected, then you need to resubmit the whole thing. If you
submit 5 patches, and 4 get merged, you only need to resubmit one
small patch AND you get listed in the SCM history 4 times. Yay.

Secondly, if a patch is submitted, and it's broken, resubmit the
patch. Don't say "oh change this".

If you'd like a shining example of how this process works, take a look
at Nathan's recent patches. He submitted them, in git format, they
were commented on, he changed them, resubmitted, and they were merged.
It's really that simple.

Dan and I do not need all this extra work. What Nathan did is EXACTLY
how this process should work (PS Thanks a lot Nathan)

Going forward, I think we're going to have to do the following: If you
want a change made, a patch MUST be sent in git format. Otherwise it
will simply be rejected, not for lack of effort but for the simple
fact that it's a waste of our time to have to deal with.