[pacman-dev] Dynamic repository updates?

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Fri Sep 7 12:58:56 EDT 2007

As it currently stands, in order to update the files in pacman.d are
only updated on a pacman rel bump.

This requires pacman to update its version to push any mirror list changes out.

My proposal is to have a pacman-mirrors.pkg.tar.gz package.

This way, pacman can get more dynamic mirror list updates, without
having to version bump pacman itself (or rel bump).

pacman-mirrors would take ownership of the /etc/pacman.d/ directory
and the associated mirror files in there. This would allow people to
keep their own mirrors at the top of the list, while proving new
.pacnew files that people can merge across if they want.

pacman would need pacman-mirrors as a dep I suppose.

Anyway, it is just an idea, and would require minimal changes to
pacman itself, while still giving the ability for dynamic repository
updates without version bumping pacman itself.