[pacman-dev] Dynamic repository updates?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 17:57:25 EDT 2007

On 9/7/07, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> But well, I don't know if this is really needed. I personally only need to
> find one good mirror. So as soon as I find one, I stick with it.
> So I don't see a slightly outdated mirror list as a big issue.
> Also, does it change as fast as that?

Well there's a few neat things we can do with this. Firstly, a new
faster mirror might pop up next to you, that's obvious. But also, we
could add additional repos into this dir for 'on-the-fly' repos.

Think about it this way. If we did some qt4 rebuilds or whatever, and
needed time to test, we throw a qt4 file in /etc/pacman.d/ with one or
two mirrors in it, and an install message or some such.

Bam, easy and clean way, with no extra code, to distribute random
repositories if and when we need them - this is something we discussed
for a while in devland.