[pacman-dev] Dynamic repository updates?

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 04:32:54 EDT 2007

2007/9/7, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 10:56:44PM +0300, Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> > I don't see any difference between fetching new pacman-mirrors package
> > version and updating pacman package. This essentially just moves
> > package update procedure from one package name to another.
> >

> I think eliott clearly stated it, having mirrors in another package makes the
> mirror list independent of pacman. This would allow to update the mirror list
> more frequently, without having to wait for a new pacman version each time.
> A new pacman version is generally only made after a certain number of changes
> is made. And it also needs to be stable enough.

We don't have to wait for a stable pacman release. Just do not include
mirrorlist in pacman tarball, but instead put it in CVS and add it to
sources=() in PKGBUILD.
Then when mirrorlist is updated - just bump pkgrel.
That was what I meant.

But now I find this solution worse than separate pacman-mirrors
packageco due to this simple reason:
it would be annoying to see "Install pacman first [Y/n]?" on every
update of mirror list. :-P
So yes, I started to like Eliott's idea. :-)

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)