[pacman-dev] some limitations of the current front-end, new -D option

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at frugalware.org
Wed Sep 12 13:57:17 EDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 07:26:52PM +0200, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are some particular cases where the previous behavior was better
> imo. Mostly when you reinstall a package for testing/debugging purpose,
> because you have some problems with it.

sure, it's a matter of taste. to me, the reason EXPLICIT means i
installed the package explicitly at least once, so i know that package.
maybe it means something else for others (like some users always do a
-Sd instead of -S..)

> Some users even try to reinstall all installed packages sometimes. This would
> lose all REASON information.

is this a hobby? :)

> The better thing to do is probably have it fully configurable. Being able to
> set the reason to explicit, to deps (--asdeps) or to keep it (current default
> behavior).

yes, probably extra switches to kill automatism could not hurt

- VMiklos