[pacman-dev] pacman 3.1 release ?

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 10:13:03 EDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 01:26:55PM +0200, Nagy Gabor wrote:
> OMG, I noticed that current pacman won't resolve target<->target conflict (it
> stops with unresolveable conflict error <- so that ~150 line conflict-resolution
> monster is not so efficient in sync.c ;-). However pacman may still remove
> packages from the target list: sync.c: /* pacman -S blackbox xfree86 ... */.

Actually, I think that's the only reason why your patch breaks a few pactest.
In case of target <-> target conflicts, pacman used to fail. But after your patch,
it tries to automatically resolve it by selecting one of the target.
You said that yourself :)

So you broke the pactests that had a target <-> target conflict, and expected
pacman to fail.
I am still not sure what's the best default behavior (for example, the
behavior using --noconfirm, which is how pactest are run).
But in any cases, it's probably better to ask the user (you already said that as well).

> I don't understand that part at all:
> resolvedeps first search for (blackbox's) dependency satisfiers in the target
> list. So it will find xfree86, if that dep is OK [in this case we don't need to
> remove anything]; if xfree86 dep is not OK, resolvedeps must find and pull a
> real satisfier (xorg), [in this case we cannot remove xorg, because we will get
> a broken dep].
> Any idea?

See :
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-July/009041.html