[pacman-dev] makepkg3 improvements (for pacman-3.1)

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 00:27:07 EDT 2007

On 6/10/07, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Well fixed probably isn't the right word. I followed the suggestion of
> > > using the ISO 8601 date format YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD (eg
> > > 1997-07-16T19:20:30+01:00) in .PKGINFO, pacman/libalm still needs
> > > patched to localize the date.
> > Why the hell did I say fixed. I've thought of a better solution. Set
> > builddate (in .PKGINFO) to unix epoch, then when pacman displays it use
> > ctime() (time.h). It converts a unix epoch to a localized time string
> > based on /etc/localtime or the TZ enviroment variable.
>
> Interested in working on this? We need to make it backwards compatible
> as well. What if we stuck both an old formatted time and new formatted
> time in there, allowed pacman to read both (but prefer the newer), and
> eventually phase out the old style? We need a way for it to transition
> well.

Carving my way through some old emails....

How does this sound for a sanity check while we do this conversion:
If build/install date start with a non-digit, use old code, otherwise
asssume it's an epoch?

Dan checked this out, it doesn't seem to be localized and hasn't
changed in a while:

builddate=$(LC_ALL= ; LANG= ; date -u "+%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Y")

If no one sees problems with this, I will move it to the master branch
when I get a chance.

- Aaron