[pacman-dev] pacman 3.1 release ?

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Wed Sep 19 10:10:35 EDT 2007

> On 9/18/07, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/18/07, Nagy Gabor <ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> > > 3. We are sitting on this problem for ~1.5 months, we (mostly I)
> discussed it in
> > >  10+ mails, so it's time to do something in the code too ;-)
> >
> > Um. See, this is why we always say "patches welcome". If *you* find it
> > important, write a patch please. Apparently this isn't as big of a
> > deal to other people.
> >
> > This is how open source is supposed to work. Ideas are free, code is
> > not. Please send us a patch if you want this done quickly.
>
> Not to be an ass as I appreciate your work on pacman as well finding
> bugs, but I have over 50 emails related to pacman sitting in my Inbox.
> I know you do have some outstanding patches that I haven't applied,
> but a lot of that is due to them needing time to review. My priority
> list goes like this:
> 1. Merge in patches that are easy to read and see what they do
> 2. Review patches for things that aren't so easy, merge them after testing
> 3. Throw all emails without patches to the bottom of the pile unless
> they are easy to fix
>
> If a patch or lack of one is going to require major effort on my part
> to make it work, I'm going to put it off. That is just the way it is.
> I don't have the time or want to take the time to read a chain of 30
> emails either- if I didn't understand it before, it isn't going to be
> easy now, and I basically want to see as concise a description of the
> problem, a way to fix it, and a patch. That is just the way it is.
>
> -Dan

Well, I don't want to hurt you, but my list would be:
1. review/apply/write bugfixes
2. add new features/code clean-up/improvements...

I'm sure that you are busy, but you may add git access to other "trusted" devels
(1 vote for Xavier) to help you. I'm not familiar with pacman developing
philosophy, but as I see, only you and Aaron are the active devels who have git
access.

Bye, ngaba