[pacman-dev] backup handling

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 12:18:55 EDT 2007

On 9/19/07, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 10:50:35AM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > On 9/19/07, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > What would seem smart to me:
> > > 1. If file has been removed from backup array and no longer exists in
> > > the package, save it as .pacold.
> >
> > And this is already done anyway - previous backup array vs new backup
> > array is checked for files in the NEW backup array instead of the OLD.
> > We could easily do the converse check for .pacold
> >

> Hmm, what? This is exactly the case of the current mirror list during 3.0.5-3
> -> 3.0.5-4, and current is lost.
> Also, do you mean pacold or pacsave?
> I grepped both 3.0 and 3.1 for pacold, and couldn't find any references of
> it.

What I'm saying is that we check the old and new backup arrays for
pacsave files... I termed this "proactive backups" back in the day.
That is, the first time a file is added to the backup array, it is not
overwritten like it was in the past.

So this check is _already_ there, it is just a check to see if a file
is in the *new* backup array and not the *old* - we just need to
reverse this to check for files in the *old* array no longer in the
*new* array