[pacman-dev] Sg and Rg options && manpage update

Nagy Gabor ngaba at bibl.u-szeged.hu
Fri Sep 21 12:22:48 EDT 2007

> On 9/21/07, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Note that there were two differents proposals :
> > 1)
> > -S and -R look for packages first, and then fallback on groups.
> > -Sg and -Rg only look for groups.
> >
> > 2)
> > -S and -R only look for packages
> > -Sg and -Rg only look for groups.
>
> The second proposal appears, from an outside view, to be an unfair
> restriction. We'd be removing functionality that currently works, and
> I don't know if I like that.
>
> Sure it might clean up the code and all, BUT perfect code for a
> crippled app is never a good idea.

Clean-up also implies (slight) speed-up. This is really slight now ;-), because
-S also can install provider as Xavier mentioned (<- I don't like this, this is
also assymetric: -R doesn't deal with it.)
Let me explain: user does a "pacman -S xorfg" (<-typo)
-pacman search for packages (fast) with no success.
-pacman search for groups (slow!, pacman must read the desc files in sync repos)
with no success
-pacman search for providers (slow!, pacman must read the depend files too).
-pacman stops with an error message

So in this special case, if pacman would search for packages only, that would be
~300% speed-up (in my machine).

To tell the truth, this is not a reason for me;-) Personally, I find 1.) much
more confusing (in the first time, it took ~15 minutes me to figure out how to
install a group, pacman -Sh mentions package everywhere, in the manual I still
cannot find this information); so my vote: 2.)

Bye, ngaba