[pacman-dev] [translation] Problems with DE-version

Matthias Gorissen matthias at archlinux.de
Thu Aug 7 11:03:05 EDT 2008

So version 3.2.0 went to [core], and upon the next -Syu, pacman greeted me
with the following message:

:: pacman hat eine neuere Version von sich selbst gefunden.
:: Möchtest du die momentan Handlung abbrechen
:: und die neue pacman Version installieren? [Y/n]y

WTF??? This is anything but German! Style and taste aside, there are at least
three serious errors:

1. Pacman uses a colloquial form to address its user - this is logically
inconsistent. All the rest of the De-translations use a more formal one (just
to avoid ambivalent meanings - it is not about formality/politeness).
2. "momentan" should be "momentane" - it sounds like an "ery annoying error"
in English.
3. [Y/n] should be [J/n]. If you type "y", pacman gets updated with all the
other packages - not in before.

Of course, I don't want to blame anyone in particular here. There is no-one to
blame but me - I should have held these files under much closer surveillance.
I was quite sure, however, that I had purged these lines, and that the
changes were merged. So this an "ery annyoing error" indeed.

For the sake of interest, this error was originally introduced here:
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=pacman.git;a=commitdiff;h=2b0c89b06a5cf68f03cb187849ddf8a7f81859ba

I didn't find any indication that this went over the ML (where I would have
seen/checked it). Maybe a private mail to Dan? - I dunno, but it should not
have been accepted this way.

I thought I had cleaned up the entire issue here (but maybe I was wrong):
http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=pacman.git;a=commitdiff;h=4ebad47ae7dff0f006c885c303563cb8550fb658;hp=ad697d2fd5af10439266b3350b3de3c9400913f5
This one was merged, so I don't see why the the older version keeps popping
up.

I have provided another patch here:
http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-July/012427.html
This one may not have been merged, but hey - there are at least 20 people
subscribed to this who can checkout git-repos retrospectively 10 times better
than I can, aren't they?

So I'll write a patch for 3.2.1 (maybe this evening, if I stay sober enough).
But despite my own short-comings, I wonder about organization. Maybe we could
figure out a way to avoid such mistakes in the future.

Best regards,
Matt