[pacman-dev] [arch-general] rotate pacman log?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 17:42:31 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm actually with Dale here. I find it nice to go all the way back to
>>> the "beginning of time" with my install so I can see exactly what may
>>> have pulled in a now unneeded dep, etc. I just used this on my Eee
>>> yesterday to remove unnecessary packages originally pulled in by
>>> OpenOffice (hsqldb). I would rather old logs never get deleted; but
>>> even more I would rather the file never get touched.
>>>
>>> There is a separate concern I have wanted to address for a while, and
>>> that is the mixing of what was previously a pristine pacman.log with
>>> the scriptlet messages. It is a great idea, but in practice, it makes
>>> this file not near as concise as it once was. In an ideal world:
>>> 1) pacman.log would return to only being upgrade/install/remove messages.
>>> 2) another log file would be added that contained the verbose stuff.
>>> pacman_messages.log or something.
>>> 3) pacman.log never rotates/deletes.
>>> 4) pacman_messages.log rotates/deletes.
>>>
>>> What do people think of this?
>>
>> While we're proposing ideas.... what about this:
>> * new scriptlet function "message()", that just outputs text.
>> * add a -Q operation to call the message() function.
>>
>> Then there's really no need for scriptlet logging at all.
>
> If I upgrade 59 packages and 3 of them spit out messages but I closed
> my console, what do I do?

Honesty: Don't close the console after an upgrade, you knob.
Realism: Ok, so there is a case for logging, sure, but the message
function is kinda neat