[pacman-dev] [arch-general] rotate pacman log?

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 07:19:59 EDT 2008

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is a separate concern I have wanted to address for a while, and
>> that is the mixing of what was previously a pristine pacman.log with
>> the scriptlet messages. It is a great idea, but in practice, it makes
>> this file not near as concise as it once was. In an ideal world:
>> 1) pacman.log would return to only being upgrade/install/remove messages.
>> 2) another log file would be added that contained the verbose stuff.
>> pacman_messages.log or something.
>> 3) pacman.log never rotates/deletes.
>> 4) pacman_messages.log rotates/deletes.
>>
>> What do people think of this?

Hmm, first I didn't see any drawbacks by splitting logs, but I just
thought of one now.
Putting all verbose messages separately in pacman_messages.log put
them out of context.
With the current all-in-one log file, you can associate very easily
and quickly any verbose messages / scriptlets output with the
corresponding upgrade/install/remove.