[pacman-dev] [arch-dev-public] info pages

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 13:28:32 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Won't that compress e.g. html documentation in ${DOC_DIRS} as well?  In
> general, that would be bad.
>
> I know the reasons are historical, but from a makepkg point of view, why are
> man pages treated as different from info pages?  I see a good reason for
> treating the rest of documentation different.  As far as makepkg is
> concerned man and info pages both need treated the same.  So should info be
> removed from the DOC_DIRS variable?  Kind of makes the including docs by
> default redundant if we do that though...

That makes sense.
First, I am not sure the size concerns when talking about including
docs was about info pages. IIRC, the only example I heard about was
glib2 and the gtk-docs folder, so that is not info.
And besides if info pages are compressed, then size will be even more
irrelevant.
So it looks to me that man pages and info pages could always be
included, and then !docs could be used to strip all the other docs.