[pacman-dev] Pacman only tries to resolve with the primary nameserver

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 16:17:47 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Teran McKinney <sega01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> While revamping eleutherNet's ( http://eleuther.net ) DNS setup and
> giving it external IPv6 connectability, I found Pacman's sync server
> resolving method to be problematic during testing. Pacman 3.2.0 seems
> to only try the primary nameserver when resolving a server to sync to.
> The common (though not completely ideal) practice for using internal
> domains in VPNs is making the internal DNS server your primary and
> keeping your normal nameserver as secondary for resolving "real"
> domains after the VPN's DNS server fails to resolve the domain. Almost
> all applications will try to resolve through the whole nameserver list
> if there are no matches initially, but Pacman does not seem to.do
> this.
>
> Pacman is an awesome package manager, but having either optional or
> standard functionality for this would be nice.

First this is not really pacman's fault, but maybe the download
library it uses : libdownload (forked from freebsd libfetch).
You can always try using XferCommand for using an external file
download. See man pacman.conf

Anyway, I don't know anything about this, but I would have thought
download libraries or programs did not have to deal directly with this
DNS stuff, and that it was done at a lower level.