[pacman-dev] Order of option parsing and sourcing makepkg.conf

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 09:40:40 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Allan McRae wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> With the commit which enables us to specify the makepkg config file on the
>> command-line
>> (http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=pacman.git;a=commitdiff;h=4b183bf9), the
>> sourcing of the config file gets moved after the parsing of the options.
>>  This creates problems with the --help flag as it needs to know what
>> BUILDSCRIPT is defined as.  It also causes problems when specifying a
>> different BUILDSCRIPT with -p as this gets set during option parsing then
>> gets overwritten with the makepkg config file gets sourced.
>>
>> I don't see a nice fix for this.  Sourcing the conf file before option
>> parsing and then again after if it is changed seems not good to me.  So can
>> we back that patch out at least temporarily.
>>
>> Note that this does not effect maint so the 3.2.2 release will be bug free
>> as usual.
>
> Here is a link to the original discussion of this patch:
> http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-August/007321.html

Maybe we should reconsider moving BUILDSCRIPT out of makepkg and into
makepkg.conf? This was commit 9c9e18ef32c0cf3, it feels like eons ago.
But let's be honest- how often is someone going to change the name of
PKGBUILD or should even care about it? If we at least initially define
it in makepkg, and allow for overrides in makepkg.conf, it probably
isn't the end of the world.