[pacman-dev] xdelta status

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 08:03:29 EST 2008

I was also wondering about the status of xdelta itself.

1)
 From http://code.google.com/p/xdelta/ :
> Xdelta is a tool and library for differential compression.
> Xdelta release version 3 supports VCDIFF encoding and decoding.
 > This is a BETA release, but almost stable.
 > Supports compressing 64 bit files on Windows, Linux, etc.
>
> Xdelta 1.1.4 is the last stable release. Xdelta 1.1.0 was released in 1999.

So, the arch package will be updated to xdelta 3 only when it is marked
stable, right? Since it's almost stable, maybe this could happen in the
near future. Will this cause any problems on pacman side?

2)
There was also a comparison of both there :
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=255687#p255687
"The only advantages of xdelta3 I see right now is its reduced
disk-space usage during delta creation, and the possibility of
completely closing the rather unimportant md5 hole without extra
patching time/disc-space. That and it seems to be generally a bit
quicker in patching."

This benchmark was made 8 months ago though, so xdelta3 might be even
better now.

3)
Also when xdelta 3 is stable, we will have the alternative to use the
API. It looks like we could simply do a copy / paste of the code()
function there which is ~100 lines :
http://code.google.com/p/xdelta/source/browse/trunk/xdelta3/examples/encode_decode_test.c

Then it's just a matter of using fopen, calling that code function, and
then fclose.

But while using the API looks cleaner, Dan had several arguments against
doing it:
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2007-October/009627.html