[pacman-dev] Split installs for makepkg

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 07:04:14 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Roman Kyrylych
<roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/2/10, Mark Constable <markc at renta.net>:
>
> > I'd like any opinion about doing split installs using the
>  > method outlined below. Is this a reasonable approach or am
>  > I missing something obvious?
>  >
>  > It seems to work okay and does not involve any hacking or
>  > patching of /usr/bin/makepkg. This example is for building
>  > qt-copy and qt-copy-doc from KDE4 svn trunk using
>  > qt-copy/PKGBUILD as the "parent" PKGBUILD and removing the
>  > build() function from the "child" PKGBUILD.qt-copy-doc and
>  > putting that logic into the parent build_doc() function...
>
>  IIRC something like this was proposed by Alessio AKA mOLOk.
>  You can find it in ML archives or bugtracker.

Right, you referenced everything there :
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8187

About Mark's proposal, that doesn't seem like the cleanest way.
I mean, calling makepkg from a PKGBUILD sounds a bit ugly.
Probably cleaner implementations involve hacking or patching of makepkg :)