[pacman-dev] [abs] Proto files and Makeworld

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 12:56:52 EST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 11:48 AM, eliott <eliott at cactuswax.net> wrote:
> > On Jan 4, 2008 9:11 AM, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > With ABS splitting off from pacman, I was wondering where makeworld and the
> > .proto files belonged.
> >
> > To me, makeworld seems to be an abs tool (and even mentions ABS in its
> > usage) so it would seem to belong in the abs project, not with pacman
> > itself.
>
> Sounds good to me too.
>
> On 1/4/08, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Original decisions die hard :). Take a glance at contrib/ in the
> > pacman source- there you will find PKGBUILD.proto and proto.install,
> > which should always be the canonical definition. I think it would be
> > very wise for us to install these with the pacman package somewhere in
> > /usr/share, and maybe have some symlinks for old times sake in the abs
> > package from /var/abs/.
>
> I don't think we even need to symlink them.
> If we just provide a README in the /var/abs/ root with high level
> information about abs, we could slap a 'proto files are located in
> /usr/share....' or wherever.

cat > /var/abs/README << EOF
ABS is a collection of the PKGBUILDs used to make your Arch Linux packages.
It is also a good starting place to learn how to make your own. If you
want a clean
prototype, then please see the prototype PKGBUILD and install file shipped with
pacman & makepkg, located in /usr/share/pacman/.
EOF