[pacman-dev] [abs] Proto files and Makeworld

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 14:33:01 EST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 1:14 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, a small issue is becoming a hot topic here. :)

My fault: I misunderstood the intent here. I thought we wanted to move
ALL the proto files to abs, and I ran with it. But yes, obviously it
makes sense to keep the BASE set of them in pacman. Call me a fool.

I have a quick, unrelated comment, though.
> I doubt the FHS looks highly
> upon mucking with the /usr/share/ directory of another program, so
> these should probably *not* be in /usr/share/pacman/.

Actually, the only thing the FHS mentions is "if you're putting data
in /usr/share, use a subdir, please. Here's some good ideas"

It's fairly common to "muck with" directories in this manner. Take,
for instance /usr/share/terminfo, /usr/share/mime-info,
/usr/share/applications,
/usr/share/icons, etc etc.