[pacman-dev] Conf file mis-configuration by users

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 11:51:59 EST 2008

Travis Willard wrote:
> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=315809#p315809
>
> I see this happening all the time - people want to enable a repo, ONLY
> uncomment the Include line, then complain when it doesn't work.  I
> know it's PEBKAC, but can anyone think of a way we could change the
> conf file to decrease the amount of times this happens?
>
> Will an additional comment actually help?  Is there a better way to
> get this point across, say reorganization of the file?

I agree, this issue is happening all the time. it's unbelievable.
To be honest, this issue always reminds me of your sync / local split
proposal (its goal was also limiting pebkac), so I was counting on you
:) I already tried to think about reoganizing the file but didn't come
up with anything.

> I'd make a patch for the conf file with a super comment warning
> against this, but I noticed all repo configuration was removed from
> pacman.conf in the pacman.git repo - maybe this discussion doesn't
> even belong on the pacman-dev list anymore?  :P

Well, afaik the pacman package is on topic here, so even if the conf
file is moved from the git repo to the package, this discussion still
belongs here. You can always just attach the whole file.
But I should rather let Dan answer since he knows better.