[pacman-dev] Conf file mis-configuration by users

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 13:06:34 EST 2008

Dan McGee wrote:

> We are not using a crazy config file. It is basically ini format,
> which is quite standard, and I don't know a better way to go. All I
> can say is adding a comment saying "# don't be a bonehead and
> UNCOMMENT the [repo] headers!" or something.

Right, maybe a little comment would be enough.

> Comment is not a bad idea, although I just shake my head every time I
> see these threads. Editors do have syntax highlighting too, which
> makes this more obvious. I guess firing up the Gnome text editor as
> root probably doesn't though. :)

Oh I see, that explains everything. I didn't notice previously, but
syntax highlighting indeed helps a lot here. Probably that helped me
never doing that mistake, and which is why I find it stupid.
So besides the comment, we should also educate the users to use syntax
highlighting, not using gnome text editor, and using sudo. Now there are
probably many people that would object to these 3 advices, but well :D