[pacman-dev] Conf file mis-configuration by users

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:39:12 EST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 12:28 PM, Eric Belanger <belanger at astro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Xavier wrote:
>
> > Dan McGee wrote:
> >>
> >> We are not using a crazy config file. It is basically ini format,
> >> which is quite standard, and I don't know a better way to go. All I
> >> can say is adding a comment saying "# don't be a bonehead and
> >> UNCOMMENT the [repo] headers!" or something.
> >>

> > Right, maybe a little comment would be enough.
>
> Maybe also having the comment before the [repo] line instead of after it
> would help users noticing the [repo] header better.

I always figured this was the reason for it. We have something like:

#[foobar]
#this is the foobar crap
#Include= /foo/bar

Additionally, I was laughingly explaining the PEBKAC to a coworker,
and he said the following: "If it's ini style, it shouldn't really
hurt to have empty sections. Why not simply leave the headings
uncommented", which might also work.

Insert toast into slot