[pacman-dev] makepkg patch - simple pkg class feature

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 22:07:04 EST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008 8:51 PM, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org> wrote:
> I just wanted to throw this out there - this feature in general is
> straying away from the simplicity of PKGBUILDs.
>
> Can anyone give me a compelling reason why Dan's suggested
> implementation of this feature is any better than just doing the
> following:
>
> build () {
>     source $startdir/src/perl.build;
>
>     pre_build();
>     perl_build();
>     post_build();
> }
>
> Which, to me, is a ton clearer about what exactly is going on than
> some seemingly random variable in the sea of PKGBUILD options called
> 'buildlib=perl.build'.
>
> It feels too much like featuritis, and hiding stuff from the users, in
> any of the implementations suggested.

You made it much more simple than I did, thanks. This is EXACTLY what
I was thinking. We don't even need some crazy buildlib feature- just a
standard way to do stuff like this.

My only thought is that Arch Linux could install some standard build
files, such as perl.build, as part of a development package or
something. That way each package wouldn't need to include it in its
sources array.