[pacman-dev] Restore .pacsave file if present - WORK IN PROGRESS

Allan McRae mcrae_allan at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 16 19:22:26 EST 2008

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2008 6:48 AM, Allan McRae <allan.mcrae at qimr.edu.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In continuing to misjudge what would be an easy bug to fix I had an
>> attempt at FS#8645 - Restore pacsaves on install [1]. The attached patch
>> is a definite work in progress.
>>
>> I have two queries:
>> 1) Would it be better to notify the user of the restore or to query
>> them.  Either way they will get a notification about the new file being
>> installed to .pacsave.  I'm leaning on query here because that would
>> allow the user to stop really old files being restored.
>>
>> 2) Should I worry about the case where a file used to be backed up but
>> is not now.  This seems an edge case but would result in the file being
>> restored then overwritten (I think.... I need to look at that further).
>>

> Hrm, what happens if, I install foo-1.0, uninstall it, then later
> reinstall foo-2.0 which has a totally different config format. We
> wouldn't be storing the OLD md5sum for the config file if a package is
> uninstalled.
>
> Perhaps we should actually ask the user, due to that case.

Yes, thats what I was getting at in 1).  For 2) I meant files that used
to be in the backup array and no longer are were getting overwritten.

Anyway, I have reworked this so that the user gets queried to restore a
pacsave file and the file to be extracted now always gets saved as
.pacnew.  I will probably finish tiding this up at the weekend once I
have tested it some more.

Allan